Tuesday, January 04, 2005

"The Rottweiler" by Ruth Rendell



This tale of a serial killer takes place in a London antique shop whose owner is the landlady to a group of odd characters, one of whom is the murderer. We soon know who he is, but the mystery is why ! A perfume is the catalyst that sets him off. The other characters' stories are a running thread that reveal themselves bit by bit. I never made any sense out of the title. It didn't seem to have any connection to the story at all--not even figuratively. I would have called it "Libido" after the scent.

This is the first page in my reading journal. The background was done with the cheapo acrylic paints that I love to use so much. When I first decided to start this journal, I went ahead and painted a bunch of spreads with random colors. I'm just using the pages in order as I finish a book. So far, the colors seem to go well with the mood/setting of the books. I'm beginning to learn that you don't have to plan every detail ahead of time. A little serendipity can be a wonderful thing. Because the background was dark, I used a white Prismacolor pencil for most of the writing, and the two people are cut from advertisements. Posted by Hello

No comments: